Joe’s parents immigrated to the United States from a war-torn country in East-Africa, drawn here by America’s promise and the opportunity to live the American Dream. But that dream is under assault now as never before. In Congress, Joe is leading the charge to reclaim that dream for countless Americans – by pushing back against the Trump Administration and fighting for real change in Washington D.C. Each and every day in the U.S. House, Joe is working to expand opportunities for all Coloradans and protect our fundamental rights as Americans, including, among many others:
- The right to breathe clean air and drink clean water, which means combatting climate change by significantly increasing investments in renewable energy and supporting the incredible Federal research labs throughout our district, as well as drastically reducing our carbon emissions by eliminating subsidies for fossil-fuel companies, supporting the Keep It In The Ground Act (which would ban fracking on all Federal public lands), fighting for local control so that communities can regulate or outright ban oil and gas development in their communities, and repealing the Federal “Halliburton-loophole” which exempts drilling from the Clean Water Act.
- The right to quality health-care, which means opposing efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act, fighting for the Expanded & Improved Medicare-For-All Act, which would ensure universal healthcare coverage, and fighting to decrease prescription drug costs (for example, by mandating Medicare negotiate prices and enabling importation of prescription drugs from Canada);
- The right to participate in our economy, by fighting for fair wage policies such as the Paycheck Fairness Act and Raise the Wage legislation to increase the minimum wage to $15, ensuring that every public higher education graduate finishes debt-free, and protecting internet freedom by reinstituting net neutrality.
- The right to not be discriminated against because of who you are, where you’re from, or whom you love, which means protecting women’s reproductive rights, including supporting the EACH Woman Act of 2017 that protects a woman’s right to choose, fighting for immigration reform and a clean Dream Act, and championing legislation to protect all Americans from discrimination such as the Equality Act;
- The right to be safe from violence in our communities, by fighting for sensible gun-control measures, such as universal background checks and closing the Federal “gun show loophole,” supporting an assault-weapons ban, encouraging states to pass “Red Flag” laws which prevent people at risk to themselves or others from having access to firearms, and by opposing concealed-carry “reciprocity” legislation;
- The right for every student to obtain a quality education at a public school, which means paying our educators the professional salaries they deserve, increasing federal Title I funding for low-income students and federal Title II funding for teacher training, and holding Betsy Devos’ Department of Education accountable.
- The right to participate in our democracy, which means overturning the disastrous Citizens United decision and fighting for public financing of our elections, supporting Automatic Voter Registration, reforming the dysfunctional Federal Election Commission, protecting the census process from undue political influence, and protecting our sacred right to vote; and
- The right to enjoy our treasured public lands, which means fighting against privatization and oil-and-gas development efforts on Federal public lands and championing efforts to protect open space in our district (such as the Continental Divide Wilderness and Recreation Act) and across Colorado, including protecting national monuments like Bears Ears and Browns Canyon.
Put simply, Joe is honored to serve as part of a new generation of leaders who are pushing for bold solutions to our most pressing problems, and not accept the status quo. As our Congressman, he is a passionate advocate for protecting our rights and fights each and every day for the people of the 2nd Congressional District.